Monday, March 23, 2009

Shooting with my son.

Ever since the weather started turning warmer I have been wanting to take out my .22 rifle and sight in the scope. So on Saturday I asked Nathan if he wanted to come with me - which, of course, he wanted to. As we were driving out in the country trying to find a suitable spot to set up a target, Nathan was gettting more and more excited. Everything seemed to catch his attention - from the dirt roads we were driving on to the cactus all around us once we stopped. However, once I began sighting in my scope, all his excitement disappeared. He began to tell me that he was bored out of his mind and wanted to go home. So I thought that maybe it would help if I let him shoot off a few rounds. I explained to him all the things he would need to do to successfully shoot the rifle, but like most five-year-old boys he wasn't listening to a word I said -he just wanted to shoot the gun. Realizing he wasn't going to listen to me I decided I would do most of the holding of the rifle and just let him pull the trigger. As I crouched down to help him hold the rifle, he put his eye right on the scope. I stopped him and explained that he needed to move his head back a little or he would get hurt. Thinking that I had solved the issue, I told him to pull the trigger whenever he was ready. Unfortunately, he didn't listen to me and put his eye right next to the scope again and pulled the trigger before I could stop him. Of course the rifle recoiled and bopped him pretty good just above his eye. Fortunately, it was just a .22 and didn't do much more than startle him and give him a small bruise. But I had to laugh how after that happened he was suddenly all ears and wanted to know - "just one more time" - how to shoot the rifle. You gotta love kids.

3 comments:

ang said...

That is a great story about Nathen. How funny, i think that happened to me the first time that Jeff took me shooting, except I am not so humble as little Nathen and I was done listeninga and ready to go home. It was so good seeing you guys on sunday. it was good to be back and feel so at home.
Angelee

J.D. said...

Way to be a good dad and take your son out shooting; they are never to young to start. I have great memories of going shooting with my dad. I remember once I was shooting a .22 rifle that had a cocking mechanism. When I pulled the trigger my nose was a little to close and the cocking mechanism came up and skinned the tip of my nose! Good memories!

P.S.-good job on posting so much!

Anonymous said...

Thanks. We're tying to be a little better.