Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Creative Genius At Its Best

We have been making a variety of repairs to our home as we are in the process of trying to sell it. One of the repairs involved the downstairs shower which had begun to leak. It was always an odd looking shower because whoever had installed it had mounted the base on a raised platform instead of directly on the concrete. Anyway, the people that owned this house before us told me that the owners before them had built the shower on a raised platform because they did not realize that they could cut the drain pipe shorter such that the base of the shower could be mounted directly on the cement. Anyway, upon discovering the leak, I figured it probably had something to do with how the shower base had been mounted. So I tore out the entire shower and found that the way the shower base had been mounted was causing the leak, but it had nothing to do with a drain pipe being too long.

I was so shocked by what I found that I took some photos of it. What you will notice is the the drain pipe that was "too long" was really a tupperware dish that had been glued to the drain pipe. Whoever installed this "drain system" had cut a hole in the lid of the tupperware dish so that the water from the shower would go into the dish and then down the drain hole. I have to admit that when I took some time to think about how I might of tried to connect the shower base to the drain pipe, tupperware was nearly the first thing that came to mind....NOT! I can't imagine how someone came up with this "genius" system that is now going to cost me a few hundred dollars to repair because of such shoddy workmanship.


3 comments:

K Lind said...

Oh my, is all I can say! Josh said it looks like something his dad would do. Let just say we don't "improve" our house like he does! ;-)

Heather said...

Travis and I can't believe that someone would do this. That is exactly why we decided to build a house instead of doing a overhaul on an older house... you never know what you're going to find.

Mandi Burrell said...

I just wanted to say hi. Thanks for letting me view your blog, I will sure miss Gracey. Please tell her hi for me and I hope she has a wonderful second grade. I hope to see you all again.