Well, it has been about five months since I was released as the bishop of my ward. I knew I was going to be released for close to two months before it actually happened. Knowing that far in advance was kind of like the end of my mission. I loved being a missionary, but I also wanted to go home and the closer I got the more excited I was to go home. As anyone who has ever been a bishop can attest, it's really hard work, and while there were things that I loved about that calling, the closer I got to being released the more I was ready for it...or so I thought. During that last five months, I have come to realize how much I miss serving as a bishop. I'm not necessarily saying I want that calling again, just that I miss it. I've never had a calling that has so deeply impacted my life, not even as a missionary.
Before this calling, I understood, in my head, that Heavenly Father loves each of His children. It was while serving as a Bishop, that I understood, in my heart, how much He loves His children. I can't think of a single instance, when someone came sincerely seeking help with a problem that I wasn't filled with the Lord's love in their behalf. During this time, I gained a sense of how eager the Lord is to help His struggling sons and daughters...how much He desires to forgive and to bless them. I came to know that He truly does stand at the door and knocks because He hopes that we will open the door and let Him in so that He can heal us. Through many experiences, I learned that the most important thing I can do as a husband, a father, and a priesthood holder--regardless of the calling--is to love and serve those for whom I am responsible. Love is the most powerful influence there is in helping others come unto Christ. We can encourage, and teach, and testify, but if love is not felt, these will have little impact.
I could go on and on about the lessons I learned and the ways in which I changed because of this calling, but I won't. Though I'm sure that the Lord intended for me to learn and grow through this calling, I'm also sure that He intended for me to help others learn and grow. I would be less then honest if I said that, I feel as though I were a really great bishop and had a deep impact on many lives. I think closer to the truth would be that I was a really inexperienced bishop trying to learn how to help others to learn and to grow...I was an inexperienced leader trying to learn how to lead. Nonetheless, I hope there were a few, at least, whose lives were blessed as I made an effort to serve and to lead. I hope there were some who felt my love for them and my desire to help them, imperfect as it was.
2 comments:
You were a great bishop! I enjoyed being in your ward! - Kjerstin
We never truly can sense the righteous influence we have on others when as imperfect people we give the Lord our best! I know that you influenced many lives for the better as you served as Bishop! How do I know....because my life is better because I had the opportunity to serve under your leadership! I learned so many things that I find I am sharing with the YW of our Ward, your efforts to teach and train did not land in rocky soil, but they landed in hearts ready to learn and now are springing up as tender plants in the hearts of others....because of your sacrifice, your desire to teach, your great faith. Thank you for all you have done Bishop Smyth!
Post a Comment